Fall time brings a plethora of things to do in Bellingham. With cooler temperatures, warm colors, and fewer crowds this is the perfect time to get out and explore this gorgeous area. Bellingham is situated in the midst of a landscape that is near water, beautiful mountains, and rich farmland. Autumn is the best time of year to explore colorful forests, breathe in the crisp air, and have a quintessential fall day in this Washington town.
Sundara West Bed and Breakfast provides a great place to rest up and relax before heading out for more adventure. Our cozy and comfortable lodging is the perfect spot to use as a “basecamp” for all your explorations of the area. We are the closest luxury bed and breakfast to the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest minutes away from Bellingham and Lynden and at the center of all the hot spots to explore this fall season! If you want the ultimate serene autumn getaway, book your stay with us today!
Fun Things to do in Bellingham this Fall
Autumn is a particularly magical time in and around the Bellingham, Washington area. The trees put on a show of color, the light becomes mystical and cooler temps mean a great chance to enjoy the outdoors. Whether you go on a fall foliage walk, stroll amongst unique shops, or enjoy a scenic drive, you are sure to have a memorable time and certainly won’t run out of things to do in Bellingham this fall!
Here are 10 fantastic ways to experience this special place during the autumn.
- Sehome Hill Arboretum at the Western Washington University campus includes over 6 miles of trails through a forested park brimming with big leaf maple trees. Check out the sandstone tunnel carved out in 1922 for vehicles to pass through. The highlight of a visit here is climbing the 80-foot observation tower for a bird’s eye view of the gorgeous surroundings.
- A stroll along the Lake Whatcom Hertz Trail is a fun option of things to do in Bellingham. This 6.2-mile shoreline walk features covered bridges, quiet beaches, and fall colors at their best. The railroad turned trail is an easy hike and a great way to enjoy a fall day.
- One of the best places to be viewed in the fall is Whatcom Falls Park. This Bellingham favorite includes several hiking miles or you may choose to stop by just to experience the falls. Autumn brings a return of the rain and the falls swell back up to their glory underneath a canopy of colored leaves.
- Of all the things to do in Bellingham this fall, a scenic drive along the Mount Baker Highway is a must. Stop by Picture Lake to see Mt. Shuksan’s reflection surrounded by fall foliage. Head out to Heather Meadows to the Bagley Lakes trailhead or take in the views from the Heather Meadows Visitor Center. Don’t forget your camera for this beautiful drive.
- What would fall be without tasting a refreshing ale and autumn brew from the many craft breweries in the Bellingham area! Establishments like Aslan Brewing, Bellingham Cider Co., and Boundary Bay Brewery serve up delicious beverages that make you feel all warm and cozy.
- A unique activity to include on a list of things to do in Bellingham this fall is visiting a local farm. The Bellingham area is full of rich farmland that has been cultivated for generations. There is a diversity of farms to check out and most offer farm tours throughout the fall months. Bellewood Farms has an apple orchard to walk through as well as viewing of their packing and juicing operation. Appel Farms is a dairy farm that specializes in cheese. Did someone say free samples?! Relax at the Samson Estates Winery which happens to be a working raspberry farm and has a tasting room open through the autumn.
- A hike along the Interurban trail is a pleasant walk on a gentle grade. This path leads from Fairhaven to Larrabee State Park and parallels Chuckanut Drive which is a hotspot for viewing fall color displays.
- When looking for things to do in Bellingham exploring the historic area of Fairhaven is not to be missed. Here you’ll find red-brick victorian architecture with unique shops and restaurants to stop by. Makes for a perfect fall day!
- Taking in a round of golf is an excellent way to get out and enjoy the crisp air. Places like the North Bellingham Golf Course and Shuksan Golf Club offer a fun way to get active, be outside, and get amazing views!
- Oyster Dome Trail is a great option for things to do in Bellingham during the autumn. This 5-mile roundtrip trail can be a beautiful place to hike as the forest fills with a mystical fog in the autumn. At the top, you get a great view of the San Juan Islands.
The Best Bellingham Lodging this Fall
After a day of fall time explorations in and around the Bellingham area, our elegant and comfortable Washington bed and breakfast will help you relax and rejuvenate for the next day’s adventure. With all the things to do in Bellingham, you’ll need a place to kick back and unwind at the end of the day.
In your private guest room relax on your king-size bed fitted with luxurious linens. Enjoy the amazing mountain views out your window and let your troubles melt away. Our soothing hot tub and the 85-degree pool are also available year-round, which makes for the perfect place to relax and unwind at the end of a chilly autumn day in the Pacific Northwest!
Savor a filling and delicious breakfast with ingredients we select from local vendors and farms. You are sure to have a fantastic start to your day with breakfasts such as frittatas, french toast, and Denver scrambled eggs. If you want an unforgettable vacation to Bellingham this fall, book your stay with us today!