There are many things to do in Bellingham even when the weather is not cooperating as you may have planned! This area of western Washington is known for its temperate rainforests that need this rainy climate to thrive. After all, we wouldn’t have the gorgeous emerald forests if it weren’t for some rain. The rivers, creeks, waterfalls, and surrounding woodlands look their best after a healthy rainfall. There are options however if you are looking to escape a deluge. Bellingham offers many interesting and fun ways to spend a rainy day indoors as well.
Most importantly, our Bellingham bed and breakfast is the perfect rainy day escape! Our quiet and cozy inn is just the peaceful getaway you have been dreaming of. We are the closest luxury bed and breakfast to the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, where you’ll find a plethora of recreational activities to enjoy year-round. Bellingham is just a short drive away with restaurants, shopping, and other interesting attractions you’ll want to check out! If you want the best place to set up “basecamp” as you explore the surrounding area, book your stay with us today!
Things to do in Bellingham on a Rainy Day
Blue skies and sunshine aren’t an everyday reality in the Bellingham area, but a little bit of rain is no excuse to stay in and do nothing (though there’s nothing wrong with that, either!). Bellingham offers plenty of opportunities to enjoy your time whether it is checking out the local shops or getting out and appreciating the beauty of a rainy day. In fact, rainy days are the perfect excuse to explore things to do in Bellingham that you would normally take a pass on if it was an amazing day out.
Here are our 7 favorite things to do in Bellingham on a rainy day.
- A rainy day is a great time to go see what Bellingham has to offer when it comes to breweries. Here there are uniquely crafted beers for every palate. Most breweries are family-friendly and practice sustainability, which is standard for this Washington city. A few notable establishments are: Boundary Bay Brewery which is located downtown, offers a taproom, restaurant, and store. It was named as one of the 10 greatest breweries in the U.S. Stones Throw Brewing Co. is within walking distance to downtown, Boulevard Park, and the Interurban Trail. The award-winning Chuckanut Brewery and Kitchen offers great views of Bellingham Bay and the Old Courthouse.
- Why stay in when you could get out for some fresh air and explore a rainy forest. Whatcom Falls Park is a 241 natural forest preserve that features beautiful waterfalls and 3.5 miles of trails. Wander through this mossy, green, and magical place as you listen to raindrops falling on leaves around you. The colors pop in the rain which makes for an even prettier walk. Take a deep breath as you stand next to the falls and breathe in the mist. This is definitely one of the more adventurous things to do in Bellingham on a rainy day.
- Another park that is interesting to explore when the rain is falling is Boulevard Park. This bayfront park features 500 feet over the water boardwalk where you can watch as the rain moves in and across the water. Wood’s Coffee, located in the middle of the park, gives you an opportunity to warm up with a cup of espresso.
- Pop into AB Crepes for a rainy day snack. Serving sweet and savory crepes, they feature a day menu and a night menu with flavors such as strawbana, s’more, garlic chicken pesto, and creppizza.
- One of our favorite things to do in Bellingham on a rainy day is to wander into a cozy bookstore and browse the aisles. Village Books is the perfect place to find the next good book you’re going to read. This independent bookstore is located in the historic Fairhaven Village where there are many other local and specialty shops to check out.
- The Whatcom Museum is one of the more fun and informative things to do in Bellingham on a rainy day. There are 3 buildings as a part of this museum campus that focuses on exhibits and programs that showcase art, nature, and Northwest history. A not-to-be-missed activity!
- One of the most relaxing things to do in Bellingham when the weather isn’t great is to visit one of the many area wineries for a wine tasting. Dynasty Cellars features a tasting room with cozy fireplace seating as you sip wine. Vartanyan Estate Winery has an inside tasting room, but you can also head outside and sit next to the outdoor fireplace.
The Best Bellingham Lodging
Our Washington bed and breakfast is the perfect place for a rainy weekend getaway! There are plenty of things to do in the Bellingham area or you could sit and relax at our cozy inn. Our “mini-resort” is set up with your ultimate comfort in mind. Unwind in your beautifully appointed guest room. You’ll get a great night’s sleep on your bed fitted with 500 ct bedding.
After a day of exploration slip on your plush guest robe and feel the stress melt away as you look out your window to a beautiful view. Our luxurious bed and breakfast is the weekend escape you have been craving, complete with a heated pool and hot tub for the ultimate relaxation. If you are looking for the best place to stay near Bellingham and the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, book your room today!