The Mount Baker Ski Area, located in the beautiful Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, is lovely for winter recreation. The average annual snowfall hits nearly 700 inches—which is also the highest average amount in the world. Fun fact: during the 1998-99 season, there was a whopping 1,140 inches of snow at the Mount Baker Ski Area, the most ever recorded in one year.
One of the biggest draws to the area for extreme sports enthusiasts is the backcountry opportunities—many of which are accessible by lifts. However, you’ll also find a versatile collection of routes for all skill sets, as well as lessons and family-friendly runs. Overall, there are 1000 acres of skiable terrain. Depending on weather conditions, the Mount Baker Ski Area season opens in early December and runs through early spring.
Before you buy your lift tickets, you’ll want to solidify your Mount Baker lodging, and our Bellingham Bed and Breakfast and mini-resort is one of the best places to stay in the Northwest. Whether you’d like a cozy suite just for two or a family-friendly cottage or glamping option, you’ll find it all at Sundara West B&B. All of our guests have access to our year-round indoor pool and hot tub area—which is ideal for warming up after a long day on the slopes.
Check out our upcoming availability and book your next skiing getaway today!
What You Need to Know About Mount Baker Ski Area
The Mount Baker Ski Area is one of the most popular destinations for outdoor enthusiasts in the Northwest—especially during the wintertime. Those who love alpine skiing or feel the rush on their snowboard will be in paradise.
- The Mount Baker Ski Area comprises two designated areas: the Heather Meadows Base and the White Salmon Base. It’s nestled between Mt. Baker and Mt. Shuksan, with eight quad chairlifts servicing the areas. For the current ticketing information, head here.
- The Heather Meadows Base Area is the central hub of Mt. Baker. Pop by the Heather Meadows Visitor Center first; you’ll find friendly staff members eager to help. Heather Meadows services skiing and snowboarding on the Panorama Dome side.
- The White Salmon Base Area services the Mt. Shuksan side. One outstanding element of skiing here is the breathtaking view of the surrounding mountain ranges—take a moment to breathe the fresh air and absorb this sight.
- After you’ve hit the slopes or need a break for lunch, both base areas at the Mount Baker Ski Area have day lodges for hot meals, warm drinks, and cozy fireplaces. Currently, the White Salmon Lodge offers delicious deli fare, and the ski-in-only Raven Hut serves build-your-own grain bowls, the ideal meal for fueling up.
- For those intermediate or advanced skiers, consider booking a tour into the backcountry with Mt. Baker Mountain Guides. This is a prime backcountry touring area—especially with these amazing amounts of snowfall. They offer custom or scheduled tours that span about six to eight hours daily. A trip out with these experienced guides is bound to be one of the most memorable excursions of your lifetime!
Lessons & Family-Friendly Skiing at the Mount Baker Ski Area
If you or your family members are just getting into snow sports or looking to brush up on skills, Mount Baker Ski Area offers an array of beginner and family-oriented lessons. These group lessons include rental equipment and beginner chair lift tickets. Private lessons are for individuals or small groups of up to five. And they start at either beginner ski or snowboard level and on to intermediate and advanced skiing or snowboarding. There are also clinics and lessons offering very different experiences for those just beginning to hit the slopes or advanced skiers looking for a challenge.
Family-Friendly Lodging at our Mount Baker B&B
After a long day out hitting the slopes at the Mount Baker Ski Area, you’ll love heading back to our Bellingham lodging to rest those tired muscles and relax. Our Mount Baker Bed and Breakfast is the closest luxury accommodation to the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest. You’ll enjoy a fantastic night’s sleep in our well-appointed, private guest rooms. Our fully-equipped rental cottage or glamping lodge is the best choice for those traveling with kids. The little ones especially love our indoor pool area and play structure in the big open field.
If you’re a B&B guest, our homemade breakfasts are the perfect way to start your day before heading to the mountain! We aim to use organic produce and support local farms whenever possible. Make our Mount Baker Bed and Breakfast your basecamp this winter and book your stay with us today!